Most of you may be familiar with the idea of a self breast exam – checking your breasts once a month (usually just before ovulation) for any lumps of bumps as a preventative measure for breast cancer. But, a full on breast massage? Maybe not.
Well, I’m here to share with you the transformational power of giving yourself a soothing, sensual breast massage on the regular.
Recently, a coaching client of mine confided in me that she has never liked her breasts and wasn’t comfortable showing them to her partner either. She didn’t have a relationship with them and wasn’t proud of them. I know many people feel the same way.
For those of us with breasts, we are often lead to believe that they exist for two purposes only: breastfeeding and for the sexual gratification of the male gaze. But, I’m here to tell you that they are yours first and foremost – before anyone else has the pleasure of benefiting from them.
I’m going to say that again – your boobs are yours to enjoy. And you are allowed to enjoy them. You have complete permission and there is nothing wrong with appreciating, honouring and taking pleasure in your body.
But, why bother with a Breast Massage anyway?
There are SO many benefits of breast massage on the physical, emotional and spiritual levels, here are a few reasons to add this to your self-care routine:
- Creates connection to and appreciation of your body – specifically the breasts
- Your chest corresponds to your heart chakra, so self-massage energetically open the heart-space
- Flushes the lymphatic system around the breast tissue
- Detoxifies the breasts
- Promotes healthy breast tissue
- Strengthens your feelings of self-love
- Connects you with your heart centre
- Helps to balance hormones
- Increases blood flow to the breasts
- Relieves breast pain (or mastalgia)
- Activates pleasure chemicals in your brain (e.g. oxytocin and dopamine)
- Allows you to experience more pleasure
Breast massage is a really beautiful practice that you can easily do every day. You can keep it simple and fuss-free with a few minutes first thing in the morning, before or after a shower, or you can incorporate it into an elaborate self-care ritual. It’s totally up to you! Below I’ve detailed the ins an outs of a nourishing Breast Massage Ritual. Enjoy!
As with all rituals, it’s always beautiful to start by setting up your very own Sacred Space. This will help you to drop in deeper and cultivate a more intentional connection with your chosen ritual.
Set up your environment to enchant the senses – think about how it looks, smells, feels, sounds – making it as pleasurable and luxurious as you can. Check out my intro to The Ritual Series with my Sacred Space Ritual here.
Choose Your Oil
Start by choosing an oil to use for your breast massage – depending on your body type and preference you could choose a cooling oil like coconut a more warming oil like sesame.
You might also like to add a few drops of essential oils to your carrier oil to invoke the senses and amplify the healing of your breast massage. For heart opening, pure rose oil is a beautiful choice.
You might also like to invest in a specific breast massage oil like this one from Shemana.
Begin by closing your eyes, placing your hands on your heart and tuning in to your breath. This is the time to set your intention for your practice. You could be intending to send love to your breasts, to open your heart, to become more confident in your body, to step in to your power. This practice is all about showing yourself a whole lot of self-love, so tune in to your intention and allow yourself to give and receive this love.
Begin by gently cupping both your breasts, gently feeling their weight, however subtle or significant. In circular motions, gently massage your breasts leading upwards on the inside edge towards the heart, and downwards on the outer edges. The stimulating motion of self-massage releases the love hormone, oxytocin, and subsequently feelings of love toward yourself. Channel this energy and tune in to any emotions or thoughts that may arise.
Then, switch direction. The opposite direction – upward on the outer edge and downward on the inside – will encourage heart expansion and radiance.
There is really no wrong way to do this, so simply allow yourself to massage in any way that feels nourishing while breathing deeply and intentionally.
Depending how you feel, you may or may not like to do your breast massage in front of a mirror. If you feel unsure about this, begin without and then as you develop a more living relationship with your breasts, you can move in front of the mirror. Working with a mirror for this practice will amplify your ability to foster deep appreciation and reverence for your body – so definitely give it a go.
You might like to play some sensual music (find my playlists here) or perhaps some meditation music in the background, or perhaps you want to bask in the silence with your breath as your soundtrack. Again, allow your intuition to guide you in creating the ideal environment for you.
As I mentioned before, this ritual can be as simple or elaborate as you like. A few ideas of when to do it:
- First thing in the morning, before you hop out of bed and perhaps before you even open your eyes, take a few moments to simply hold your breasts and gently massage them. I love waking up by showing my body some love!
- Before getting in the shower. This is a great time to do it, especially if you are doing a full body self-massage with oils. Using oils like sesame for self-massage is a great way to detoxify the body and this timing allows you to wash off the oils, and subsequent toxins that were released during your massage, in the shower afterwards.
- After a shower can also be a nice time for a breast massage ritual. You’ll be fresh and clean and can indulge in a scented essential oil combo or a scented oil to really amp up the self-love vibes.
Doing this practice in the morning will set you up for the day and help you feel confident and hold yourself proudly. Whereas the energy of a night time ritual could be more sensual, slow and nourishing to send you off to sleep after infusing yourself with love.
Remember – your breasts are yours. You are allowed to honour them and show them love. So, take some time and enjoy!
I’d love to hear about your experience with The Breast Massage Ritual – feel free to get in touch anytime.
Let me know your thoughts!